Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

So as I have already stated I absolutely adore reading. Nothing can transport you farther and faster to a different time and a  new world with people you could never have dreamed of meeting. I challenge you all to think of something much more comforting then curling up with a good cup of coffee or tea, a delicious little dessert and a fabulous book........ Times up you will never think of anything more relaxing because it does not exist! With that being said I think it would be fun for me to give you little reviews of books i read and a recipe that I think would go perfect with it (once in a while lets not get carried away I do have a full time job!)


The first book I am going to do is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I  read this book a couple months ago and let me tell you it is one of the best books I have read in a long time. This book is set in Jackson, Mississippi when segregation was in full swing. It is about a a white women who is challenging the separate but equal practices of the south, believing that things really aren't all that equal. This women decides to write a book depicting the relationships that white women have with their black maids and what follows is humor, heartbreak, and a story of friendship like I have never read before. This book made me ashamed, made me laugh out loud, cry and I was truly sad when it ended. Kathryn Stockett gives you cast of characters you fall in love with and some you hate. It is hard to believe how ignorant and hateful people were but the ending was something to be proud of and gives you hope for the future.
When thinking of what recipe to pair with this amazing book, I thought of one thing... PEACHES!!! I think peaches and the south go hand in hand so I thought I would try a Peach 'n Berry Pie. So grab the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and a piece of peach n' berry pie curl up in your favorite spot and relax!!!!!


PEACH 'N BERRY PIE  

CRUST
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups butter flavored shortening
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
1/2 cup cold water

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, shortening, sugar and salt. Blend together with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Then in a small bowl, mix egg with water. Blend into flour mixture. Chill until ready to use.

This makes enough for a double crust pie

**** Helpful hint **** When rolling the pie crust out roll from the center to make the desired size circle. To make it easier to transfer this to pie pan fold that circle in half, then the half in half making it 1/4 size and unfold in the pie pan.


FILLING
4 Cups fresh peaches-peeled, pitted and sliced
1 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter, softened and cut into pieces
1 Tablespoon coarse granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Place peaches and berries in a colander for about 15 minutes to drain any excess fluid, then transfer to a large bowl. Gently toss with sugar,flour and cinnamon. Transfer to pie crust. Dot with butter, and top with 2nd crust. Cut slits and sprinkle with coarse sugar. (Feel free to do a lattice top if you prefer)
Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crust is a golden brown.

Oh and if you are wondering... The movie was AMAZING! So many times movies based on books are a complete let down but let me assure you this is not the case with the help. It took a delicate subject matter and it attacked with integrity and in good taste leaving out some of the more gruesome scenes from the book which for me is a positive thing (reading and seeing two very different things!) The acting was wonderful and the story was followed beautifully, definitely worth seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment