Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Book of Tomorrow: A Novel by Cecelia Ahern

The Book of TomorrowThe Book of Tomorrow is about Tamara Goodwin who is a spoiled rich brat who's life is just completely upended when her father commits suicide leaving Tamara and her mother to sell off all they own to pay their debts. With everything she has ever known and loved gone, Tamara and her mother move in with her controlling Aunt and Uncle she has only met a handful of times. While Tamara is dealing with the loss of her father and her ritzy lifestyle she is also trying to pull her mother out of her catatonic stupor all while trying to not die of boredom. Enter Marcus, a handsome college man who drives the traveling library to towns without libraries. Meeting Marcus changes everything for Tamara because it is in the traveling library that she finds a blank diary that upon opening she discovers reveals to her the events of tomorrow.
Through the knowledge the diary provides Tamara begins to unravel family mystery and discovers that nothing is as it seems.

First off the reason I wanted to read this book is because the cover is absolutely beautiful (the picture really doesn't do it justice!) I know you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover but it was too hard to resist when I saw how cute this book looked I had to give it a shot. With that being said this book was a total let down! I was expecting a magical experience and instead I got underdeveloped characters, weird writing, and an overall shallow story. There were some interesting parts, and the ending is a surprise but this might not be worth picking up. It was extremely difficult to get into the book and then when you do it leaves you unsatisfied.

I really am at a loss to suggest this to any group of readers because I believe that most adults will find it far to "fluffy" and underdeveloped however I feel that some of the material in the book (sexual situation involving a teenager and young twenty-something, foul language, underage drinking etc.) make it a little inappropriate for the age group the story itself is best suited for.

So the best I can do is to say if you need a quick read that requires no thought or emotional involvement but I will say has some funny moments this is the book for you. Definitely read better though, can't love 'em all I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment